This page is managed by Dr. Matthew Liberatore (University of Toledo).
Syllabi, schedules, course notes
- University of Virginia
- University of Pennsylvania
- The University of Texas at Austin
- University of Colorado Boulder: Syllabus, schedule and an all-inclusive digital Microsoft OneNote notebook that uses active learning and a flipped classroom. It contains class notes, ConcepTests, pre-class assignments, recommended screencasts and simulations, homework problems (and solutions), and sample exams (with solutions). Contact LearnChemE@gmail.com to obtain access.
- LearnChemE (University of Colorado Boulder): More than 165 screencast videos for material and energy balances, including example problems, introduction to topics, software tutorials, and exam review problems. YouTube playlist
- Elementary mass balances
- Interactive simulations (University of Colorado Boulder): 14 Mathematica-based interactive simulations that can be run with a free CDF player plug-in. Most of the simulations have accompanying screencasts that demonstrate how to use the simulation. Topics include recycle, single and multi-component phase equilibrium, mass balances, energy balances, and phase diagrams.
Multiple-choice conceptual questions for use in class with student response systems (clickers)
- LearnChemE (University of Colorado Boulder): More than 300 material and energy balance ConcepTests. Contact LearnChemE@gmail.com to obtain access.
- AIChE Concept Warehouse (Oregon State University)
- Polymath (CACHE): Solves ODEs, linear equations, and nonlinear equations. Screencasts demonstrating Polymath use can be found here.
- APEx: Analysis of Processes with Excel
- Chemical Engineering AppSuite HD (University of Alabama): A phone app that contains thermophysical property data, steam tables, a period table, units converters, and equation of state solvers. Available for $0.99 USD.
- Sapling Online Homework: Individualized homework problems
- Team maker and team assessment tools: Creates homework teams and does peer assessment
Useful Material and Energy Balance Links
- A Student-Centered Approach to Teaching: Material and Energy Balances (North Carolina State University): Part 1 Part 2
- Foundations of Chemical Engineering (University of Pittsburgh): Detailed course notes available as PDF files
- Material and Energy Balances (Rice University): Detailed course notes
- Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering (SUNY Buffalo): Course notes
- Encyclopedia of chemical engineering equipment
- Design projects for Material and Energy Balances (University of West Virginia)
- Active Learning and Just-in-Time Teaching in a Material and Energy Balances Course (University of Toledo)
- Student YouTube videos
- Bioengineering Educational Material Bank (BIOEMB)